Sunday, January 6, 2013

Resolutions and Granola Recipe

I'm not one to normally form New Year resolutions, but last year I set a goal to run a 10k without the use of an inhaler (I have the black lung AKA Asthma), and somehow... MIRACULOUSLY... I conquered it.  Afterwards, I cried in the middle of the street for what seemed like an hour, called everyone I knew to tell them the good news, and sent a letter to my doctor to thank him for making my lungs strong.  Asthma has been a serious struggle for the majority of my life and in 2012 I not only finished my first 10k, but also felt like I had finished my battle with Asthma.  So I set a new goal.  In 2013, I will run a half marathon.  

The bad news
I went for a check up the day after Christmas and found out my lungs are only using 45% of their capacity.  Normal is 100%, and I was at 100% LAST YEAR!!!!  Being the extremist that I am, I convinced myself that I was surely going to drop dead by the time I set foot outside of Dr. Menon's office.  I called Jason in a panic.  This is when being the wife of a medical student is really helpful.  He explained to me that while this sucks, I will still live to see Mosley grow into a mature puppy.  :)

Actually, he said something along the lines of "diffusion rate across albeolar capillaries".  Which translates to "No worries"  in  my head.  

Still, I don't like the idea of only functioning at 45%.  I am OBVIOUSLY dying to blame living in high altitudes for the change, and I am also struggling to resist the temptation of throwing a lengthy pity party.  Instead, I decided to keep the same New Year resolution.  At the very least, It will get me out of the house more.

What's your resolution?


We rang in the New Year during our 17 hour trek back to West Virginia... Specifically, between Chattanooga and Knoxville.  :)

For those of you who are making resolutions to eat healthy in 2013, I've got a wonderful recipe to share!  It's granola, and it is yummier and cheaper than the organic bagged stuff!  

Ingredients

4 cups old fashion oat meal
3/4 cup of oat bran
1/2 cup of flax seed meal 
3/4 cup of wheat germ (this is found in the cereal aisle at Walmart or a local health food store)
1 cup finely chopped almonds 
1 cup finely chopped pecans 
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup of maple syrup
1/3 cup of honey
1/2 cup of peanut oil
1/2 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of dried cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips

*I purchase both the flax seed and oat bran from the organic section in Kroger, but any local health food store should carry it as well.  Also,  buy the bagged nuts that are in the baking section.  They are cheaper than the ones in the fruit in veggie area!

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, flax seed meal, almonds, and pecans in a large bowl.  Bring the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla to a boil over medium heat in a saucepan.

Pour the mixture over dry ingredients and stir to distribute evenly

Spread the mixture over the parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes.  (I took my out and stirred once halfway through)

Once the granola is toasted and cooled you can add in the cranberries, chocolate chips or anything else you may like!  

Store in an air tight container.

I use the granola as cereal and also eat it for a snack throughout the day.

Hope you enjoy!

-Cap

No comments:

Post a Comment