Monday, July 15, 2013

When Last We Met

I have not forsaken you! Wow, what a busy summer. Everything at my job decided to happen simultaneously in the last three weeks. And, of course, I had to squeeze a week-long vacation to the beach in there. I mean, I just had to.

I've been running, too! Although not to my training schedule. When Cap and I decided to fore go the August race, my brain decided it didn't need to train hardcore for my November race. Damn, brain, always trying to tell me what to do!

I have been running 2-3 times a week, 3-4 miles each time and sometimes on the, EEK, treadmill. I've decided to take the next month easy on the whole running outside thing. Its just too dang hot. If I put too much pressure on myself, I am liable to just not run at all. So, if I need to run on the treadmill, that is what I'm going to do.

My family's adorable beach bungalow.

Its funny, but running on the treadmill is at once easier and harder than running outside. Let's discuss:

Easier:

Mentally, yes. Why the treadmill is less daunting than running outside I will never understand, but it is.

Physically, yes. I've noticed that I am MUCH better at running on the treadmill now. When I first started running back in January, I would run on the treadmill at 5 to 5.5 speed for anywhere from 2.5-4.5 miles at a time. And, it was HARD. Then, I started running outside and it was HARDER. I have been exclusively running outside since. However, with all of this rain, I thought it might be necessary to run on the treadmill on occasion. My pseudo running coach told me a few months ago that if I had to run on the "dreadmill" as he called it, to run at a 1.5-2 incline. Last week, I ran on the treadmill twice for the first time since March. I ran my 3 miles on Tuesday evening outside like a good little girl. Then, on Wednesday, on the TREADMILL, I ran 4 miles at 5.8 speed (that's a 10:20 mile) on a 1.5 incline. That is crazy compared to my previous treadmill experience. I was absolutely drenched in sweat, and was starting to struggle, but was pumped by how easy it was overall. I went back on Friday and ran 3 miles at 6 speed (10 minute mile) on a 2 incline. It felt good! My outside runs have been dreadful. They have just gotten so boring. I think I need to come up with some new routes.

Harder:

Mentally, yes. I know I just said it was easier, but it is also harder. I said that, too. Time passes much slower on the treadmill than running outside. HOWEVER, I am much more likely to run on the treadmill than outside on days that I'm feeling lethargic. As I said earlier, its less daunting.

I don't get it.

Physically. Its not harder physically, but I seem to be working harder on the treadmill. I sweat about 20 times more on the treadmill. And, my muscles are so much "warmer" afterward. I am incredibly flexible after running on the treadmill. I know there is a reason for this. It seems that treadmill running is more aerobic and running outside is more about muscles? Does this make sense? I am obviously no physicist or biologist/anatomist but it seems that I move more on the treadmill without engaging as much of my muscles. While running outside, I'm moving slower but using more muscles to propel myself.

Eh. I don't know. I'm terrible at describing the difference, but there is a definite difference.

W joined me at the beach for a few days. It was wonderful!

As for my training, I am technically maintaining my Week 3 status. I could easily run 6 miles if I wanted. My race is on November 9, so that means if I want to keep with my training schedule, I would start at Week 4 on the week of September 8-14. For the meantime, I think I am going to start running 4-5 times a week, 3-5 miles each day. I want to see what that does for my body/weight loss goals until I start back my training.

I will probably start my training back sooner than September 8. I am still terrified of never achieving that elusive 7 mile run! But, who knows! Maybe, I will get the urge to knock out those 7 miles this weekend. We will see!

I won't be coming to you once a week with my running updates until I start back with my training. Hopefully, something interesting will happen in the meantime. I mean, Cap and J now live downstairs. We have family dinners lots. Cap and I scored at an Estate Sale this weekend. Okay, interesting things are happening!

How's your running going? Are you as fickle as me? What do you think about treadmills?

-b

1 comment: